After watching videos and reading information about how to do research plans and prepare for studying a family, I have decided I was going about this process all wrong.
My goal, therefore, has changed. I have spent the week making a research plan for this family and working methodically through the research.
Here are some of the items on my research plan! It is far from complete, I think this will give me a good start on my research. My goal is to pin down some documentation, then redo and update the research plan.
On Ancestry I will research in the following databases:
- Alabama Marriage Collection 1800-1969 Ancestry.
- Alabama Marriages, 1809-1920 Ancestry.
- Alabama State Census Records 1820-1850
- US Federal Population Census 1790-1860
- Broad Sweeping Search and Online Trees (Just for hints to follow up on)
- Alabama Maps and Texas Maps of Various Kinds
On Family Search I will research the following:
- Alabama County Marriages, 1809-1950 FS
- Alabama Marriages, 1816-1957
- Marriage, death and legal notices from early Alabama newspapers, 1819-1893 FS
- Texas, Probate Records, 1800-1990
- US Federal Poplation Census 1790-1860
- Selected cemeteries of Blanco County, Texas
- Texas records from bibles, probate records, wills, cemeteries, 1639-1954
- Original grantee-patentee Texas land titles
- Broad Records Search
- Alabama and Texas Maps or Various Kinds
I will also be checking websites like Find A Grave, Billion Graves, Message Boards, and Various Search Engine Searches just to see what other information may be out there.
This seems to be a pretty straight forward start to my research. If you have other ideas, please let me know!